Skip to content

Assault and Sexual Harassment

While you are abroad, make sure to carry the contact details for the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate both in English and the local language in case you are the victim of a crime. Also make sure that you know the location of the nearest hospital or urgent care facility. Always be aware of your surroundings and travel in groups. Keep emergency phone numbers with you at all times, including the numbers for local staff.

What should you do if you are a victim of a crime?
  • Contact the nearest U.S. embassy, consulate or consular agency for assistance
    • Officials can assist you with:
      • Contacting family and friends
      • Obtaining appropriate medical care
      • Addressing emergencies
    • Emergency assistance is available 24/7
  • Contact the local police
    • Don’t forget to request a copy of the police report
  • Inform your host university of the situation

Additional resources for Sexual Assault and Harassment
SASHAA (Sexual Assault Support and Help for Americans Abroad) is a very valuable resource specifically for students who are abroad. There is contact information for a crisis center that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can either call the international toll-free crisis line, send an email, or message an advocate through live chat. 

SUNY Plattsburgh's Title IX page provides information on your rights in regards to sex and gender discrimination and violence. Contact information can be found here.